A Brief History of Old Hall
With the help of George Hatton and Richard Turley, the congregation was able to move to the current site of the church on Dewsnap Lane and continued with various ministers and lay preachers. Interestingly, between 1945 and 1947 there was a Minister shared with the Crescent Rd Church and it was at that time that the current Manse on Russell St. was bought as a joint venture by both Churches.
A Brief History of Crescent Road
In 1708 Old Chapel, at the top of Crescent Rd., opened, but in 1805 a number of members withdrew because of its movement towards Unitarianism. These people then met in a cottage on Crescent Rd. A year later Providence Chapel was built. 14 members left and began a new work which developed into to Albion Congregational Church in Ashton.
In 1827 a Sunday School was founded at Furness Hill, Dukinfield by the Albion Church. In 1865 Providence Chapel was bought by Albion and was offered to the Dukinfield Chapel on the current site.
In 1865 a new Church was built to replace Providence Chapel. This was a large building with a gallery.
In 1911 a new Sunday school was erected attached to the Church. After this Furnace Hill ceased to be used as a Sunday school.
There were many Ministers but by 1947 a Lay Preacher (Mr Pennington) resumed until 1976. By then the old Victorian building was becoming completely unsuitable and a decision was made to demolish and rebuild what is now the current church building. This work was completed in 1972. In 1980 Rev Inglis became the first full time pastor the church had had for a long time. Later moving on to become the part time pastor at Old Hall.
In 2007 after much prayer and discussion the two Congregational Churches decided to came together. Since then the Church is known as Dukinfield Congregational Church: one Church on two sites.
In 2009 the kitchen and Sunday School part of the Crescent Road site was renovated with money received from the sale of the church graveyard and in 2012 the manse became vacant and the building was renovated and then let out.
In 2016 Pastor Inglis stepped down as Minister and the current pastor, Mr Nick Donnelly took over in August that year.
Mary Moffat was born in 1821 and was the daughter of a Scottish congregational missionary who worked among the Bechuana people (now mainly Botswana) at Kuruman. Mary live at Plantation farm in Dukinfield from 1839-1843. When the family returned to South Africa Mary taught at the school at Kuruman where she met and married David Livingstone. Mary died from malaria in1862. Plantation farm is still in Dukinfield and a plaque gives details of her life.